The coding‐synonymous polymorphism rs1045280 (Ser280Ser) in β‐arrestin 2 (ARRB2) gene is associated with tardive dyskinesia in Chinese patients with schizophrenia
Background: Tardive dyskinesia (TD) is a severe and potentially irreversible adverse effect of long‐term antipsychotic treatment. Typical antipsychotics are commonly binding to the dopamine receptor D2 (DRD2), but the occurrence of antipsychotic‐induced TD is rather delayed; therefore, the development of TD may be associated with mediators or signalling complexes behind DRD2, such as β‐arrestin 2 (ARRB2), an important mediator between DRD2 and serine–threonine protein kinase (AKT) signal cascade.
Methods: A case–control study to evaluate the association between rs1045280 (Ser280Ser) and antipsychotic‐induced TD was performed amongst 381 patients (TD/non‐TD = 228/153).
Results: There was a significant difference in the genotype distribution between TD and non‐TD groups (P = 0.025); furthermore, the allelic analysis indicated that patients with T allele had increased risk of TD occurrence (ORT = 1.58, 95% CI = 1.14–2.19, P = 0.007).
Conclusions: To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study reporting a positive association between the SNP rs1045280 and TD in schizophrenic patients.
Number of times cited according to CrossRef: 14
- Clement C. Zai, Miriam S. Maes, Arun K. Tiwari, Gwyneth C. Zai, Gary Remington and James L. Kennedy, Genetics of tardive dyskinesia: Promising leads and ways forward, Journal of the Neurological Sciences, (2018).
- Vsevolod V. Gurevich and Eugenia V. Gurevich, Arrestin mutations: Some cause diseases, others promise cure, , 10.1016/bs.pmbts.2018.09.004, (2018).
- K. A. Kirnichnaya, D. N. Sosin, M. V. Ivanov, V. A. Mikhaylov, D. V. Ivashchenko, E. E. Ershov, A. E. Taraskina, R. F. Nasyrova and E. M. Krupitsky, Pharmacogenetic-based risk assessment of antipsychotic-induced extrapyramidal symptoms, Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S.S. Korsakova, 115, 4, (113), (2015).
- Cheng-Ta Li, Kun-Hsien Chou, Tung-Ping Su, Chu-Chung Huang, Mu-Hong Chen, Ya-Mei Bai, Ching-Po Lin and Gaolang Gong, Gray Matter Abnormalities in Schizophrenia Patients with Tardive Dyskinesia: A Magnetic Resonance Imaging Voxel-Based Morphometry Study, PLoS ONE, 8, 8, (e71034), (2013).
- Ramón Cacabelos, Pablo Cacabelos and Gjumrakch Aliev, Genomics of schizophrenia and pharmacogenomics of antipsychotic drugs, Open Journal of Psychiatry, 10.4236/ojpsych.2013.31008, 03, 01, (46-139), (2013).
- S. Hossein Fatemi, Timothy D. Folsom, Teri J. Reutiman, Jessica Novak and Rachelanne H. Engel, Comparative gene expression study of the chronic exposure to clozapine and haloperidol in rat frontal cortex, Schizophrenia Research, 134, 2-3, (211), (2012).
- James T. Teo, Mark J. Edwards and Kailash Bhatia, Tardive dyskinesia is caused by maladaptive synaptic plasticity: A hypothesis, Movement Disorders, 27, 10, (1205-1215), (2012).
- Stanley Fahn, Joseph Jankovic and Mark Hallett, The tardive syndromes, Principles and Practice of Movement Disorders, 10.1016/B978-1-4377-2369-4.00019-6, (415-446), (2011).
- Rafael Flores, Yuki Hirota, Brian Armstrong, Akira Sawa and Toshifumi Tomoda, DISC1 regulates synaptic vesicle transport via a lithium-sensitive pathway, Neuroscience Research, 71, 1, (71), (2011).
- B Oneda, S Crettol, M Bochud, J Besson, M Croquette-Krokar, R Hämmig, M Monnat, M Preisig and C B Eap, β-Arrestin2 influences the response to methadone in opioid-dependent patients, The Pharmacogenomics Journal, 10.1038/tpj.2010.37, 11, 4, (258-266), (2010).
- Peter P. Zandi and Jennifer T. Judy, The Promise and Reality of Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry, Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 10.1016/j.psc.2009.12.001, 33, 1, (181-224), (2010).
- Peter P. Zandi and Jennifer T. Judy, The Promise and Reality of Pharmacogenetics in Psychiatry, Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, 10.1016/j.cll.2010.07.004, 30, 4, (931-974), (2010).
- Rongxi Yang, Bowang Chen, Kari Hemminki, Barbara Wappenschmidt, Christoph Engel, Christian Sutter, Nina Ditsch, Bernhard H. F. Weber, Dieter Niederacher, Norbert Arnold, Alfons Meindl, Claus R. Bartram, Rita K. Schmutzler and Barbara Burwinkel, Polymorphisms in BRCA2 resulting in aberrant codon-usage and their analysis on familial breast cancer risk, Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 10.1007/s10549-009-0348-7, 118, 2, (407-413), (2009).
- Yasunori Oda, Nobuhisa Kanahara and Masaomi Iyo, Alterations of Dopamine D2 Receptors and Related Receptor-Interacting Proteins in Schizophrenia: The Pivotal Position of Dopamine Supersensitivity Psychosis in Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 10.3390/ijms161226228, 16, 12, (30144-30163), (2015).