Urotensin II receptor predicts the clinical outcome of prostate cancer patients and is involved in the regulation of motility of prostate adenocarcinoma cells†‡
The authors declare no personal or financial conflict of interest.
Paolo Grieco and Renato Franco equally contributed to this study.
Urotensin II (UT‐II) is a potent vasoconstrictor peptide and its receptor (UTR) was correlated with human cortico‐adrenal carcinoma proliferation. In this study, we have evaluated the correlation between UTR expression and prognosis of human prostate adenocarcinoma and the involvement of this receptor in the regulation of biological properties on both in vivo and in vitro models. UTR mRNA and protein, evaluated by real‐time PCR and Western blotting, respectively, were expressed at high levels only in androgen‐dependent LNCaP cells. In order to investigate UTR changes occurring in human prostate tumorigenesis, we have also evaluated the expression of UTR in vivo in 195 human prostate tissue samples. UTR was always expressed at low intensity in hyperplastic tissues and at high intensity in well‐differentiated carcinomas (Gleason 2–3). Moreover, we have evaluated the effects of an antagonist of UTR, urantide on migration and invasion of LNCaP cells. Urantide induced a dose‐dependent decrease of motility and invasion of LNCaP cells whose characteristic ameboid movement seems to be advantageous for their malignancy. These effects were paralleled by down‐regulating the autophosphorylation of focal adhesion kinase and the integrin surface expression on LNCaP cells. The effects on cell motility and invasion were likely due to the inhibition of RhoA activity induced by both urantide and shRNA UTR. These data suggest that UTR can be considered a prognostic marker in human prostate adenocarcinoma patients. J. Cell. Biochem. 112: 341–353, 2011. © 2010 Wiley‐Liss, Inc.
Number of times cited according to CrossRef: 16
- Roberto Giulianelli, Stefano Nardoni, Dario Bruzzese, Cristina Falavolti, Gabriella Mirabile, Mariangela Bellangino, Giorgia Tema, Barbara Cristina Gentile, Luca Albanesi, Maurizio Buscarini, Paola Tariciotti and Riccardo Lombardo, Urotensin II receptor expression in prostate cancer patients: A new possible marker, The Prostate, 79, 3, (288-294), (2018).
- M. Demirpence, A. Guler, H. Yilmaz, A. Sayin, Y. Pekcevik, H. Turkon, A. Colak, E. M. Ari, B. Aslanipour, G. U. Kocabas and M. Calan, Is elevated urotensin II level a predictor for increased cardiovascular risk in subjects with acromegaly?, Journal of Endocrinological Investigation, 10.1007/s40618-018-0905-1, 42, 2, (207-215), (2018).
- Jane Politi, Silvia Zappavigna, Ilaria Rea, Paolo Grieco, Alessandro Caliò, Amalia Luce, Michele Caraglia and Luca De Stefano, Peptide Functionalization of Silicon for Detection and Classification of Prostatic Cells, Journal of Sensors, 10.1155/2017/6792396, 2017, (1-9), (2017).
- Jijun Li, Jinghua Gao, Wen Tian, Yongsheng Li and Jinghua Zhang, Long non-coding RNA MALAT1 drives gastric cancer progression by regulating HMGB2 modulating the miR-1297, Cancer Cell International, 10.1186/s12935-017-0408-8, 17, 1, (2017).
- Ying-ying Li, Zheng-ming Shi, Xiao-tong Yu, Ping Feng and Xue-Jiang Wang, The effects of urotensin II on migration and invasion are mediated by NADPH oxidase-derived reactive oxygen species through the c-Jun N-terminal kinase pathway in human hepatoma cells, Peptides, 10.1016/j.peptides.2016.12.005, 88, (106-114), (2017).
- Hongtao Wei, Xiaotong Yu, Xiaowei Xue, Hui Liu, Menglong Wang, Yingying Li, Xuejiang Wang and Huiguo Ding, Urotensin II receptor as a potential biomarker for the prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma patients, Oncology Letters, 14, 3, (2749), (2017).
- Pierre-Michaël Coly, Nicolas Perzo, Vadim Le Joncour, Céline Lecointre, Marie-Thérèse Schouft, Laurence Desrues, Marie-Christine Tonon, Olivier Wurtz, Pierrick Gandolfo, Hélène Castel and Fabrice Morin, Chemotactic G protein-coupled receptors control cell migration by repressing autophagosome biogenesis, Autophagy, 10.1080/15548627.2016.1235125, 12, 12, (2344-2362), (2016).
- Dian-Gang Liu, Jing Chen, Hong-Xia Wang and Bao-Xin Li, Increased expression of urotensin II is associated with poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma, Oncology Letters, 12, 6, (4961), (2016).
- Ottavio De Cobelli, Carlo Buonerba, Daniela Terracciano, Danilo Bottero, Giuseppe Lucarelli, Pierluigi Bove, Vincenzo Altieri, Ioman Coman, Sisto Perdonà, Gaetano Facchini, Massimiliano Berretta, Giuseppe Di Lorenzo, Paolo Grieco, Ettore Novellino, Renato Franco, Michele Caraglia, Claudia Manini, Vincenzo Mirone, Sabino De Placido, Guru Sonpavde and Matteo Ferro, Urotensin II receptor on preoperative biopsy is associated with upstaging and upgrading in prostate cancer, Future Oncology, 10.2217/fon.15.249, 11, 22, (3091-3098), (2015).
- C Lecointre, L Desrues, J E Joubert, N Perzo, P-O Guichet, V Le Joncour, C Brulé, M Chabbert, R Leduc, L Prézeau, A Laquerrière, F Proust, P Gandolfo, F Morin and H Castel, Signaling switch of the urotensin II vasosactive peptide GPCR: prototypic chemotaxic mechanism in glioma, Oncogene, 10.1038/onc.2014.433, 34, 39, (5080-5094), (2015).
- Alfonso Carotenuto, Luigia Auriemma, Francesco Merlino, Ali Munaim Yousif, Daniela Marasco, Antonio Limatola, Pietro Campiglia, Isabel Gomez-Monterrey, Paolo Santicioli, Stefania Meini, Carlo A. Maggi, Ettore Novellino and Paolo Grieco, Lead Optimization of P5U and Urantide: Discovery of Novel Potent Ligands at the Urotensin-II Receptor, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 10.1021/jm500218x, 57, 14, (5965-5974), (2014).
- Renato Franco, Silvia Zappavigna, Vincenzo Gigantino, Amalia Luce, Monica Cantile, Margherita Cerrone, Gaetano Facchini, Sisto Perdonà, Sandro Pignata, Giuseppe Di Lorenzo, Sergio Chieffi, Giovanni Vitale, Marco De Sio, Alessandro Sgambato, Gerardo Botti, Ali Yousif, Ettore Novellino, Paolo Grieco and Michele Caraglia, Urotensin II receptor determines prognosis of bladder cancer regulating cell motility/invasion, Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, 10.1186/1756-9966-33-48, 33, 1, (48), (2014).
- Celaletdin Camci, The Relationship between Urotensin II and its Receptor and the Clinicopathological Parameters of Breast Cancer, Medical Science Monitor, 10.12659/MSM.890459, 20, (1419-1425), (2014).
- Alessandro Federico, Silvia Zappavigna, Marco Romano, Paolo Grieco, Amalia Luce, Monica Marra, Antonietta Gerarda Gravina, Paola Stiuso, Francesco Paolo D'Armiento, Giovanni Vitale, Concetta Tuccillo, Ettore Novellino, Carmela Loguercio and Michele Caraglia, Urotensin‐II receptor is over‐expressed in colon cancer cell lines and in colon carcinoma in humans, European Journal of Clinical Investigation, 44, 3, (285-294), (2014).
- Cédric Brulé, Nicolas Perzo, Jane-Eileen Joubert, Xavier Sainsily, Richard Leduc, Hélène Castel and Laurent Prézeau, Biased signaling regulates the pleiotropic effects of the urotensin II receptor to modulate its cellular behaviors, The FASEB Journal, 28, 12, (5148), (2014).
- Hélène Castel, Laurence Desrues, Jane-Eileen Joubert, Marie-Christine Tonon, Laurent Prézeau, Marie Chabbert, Fabrice Morin and Pierrick Gandolfo, The G Protein-Coupled Receptor UT of the Neuropeptide Urotensin II Displays Structural and Functional Chemokine Features, Frontiers in Endocrinology, 10.3389/fendo.2017.00076, 8, (2017).